Do not be timid about talking about money! In fact, be bold! The lectionary provides ample opportunity between now and “stewardship season” to talk about the role of money in our lives as a spiritual issue. People will listen to your appeal for a financial commitment if you have laid “a firm foundation” for understanding giving as a faith issue. And do not neglect the issues of God as owner of all that we have and all that we are, generosity as a spiritual gift and discipline and the relationship between grace, gratitude and generosity.
- June 23 Galatians 5:1, 13-25 “The fruit of the Spirit is… generosity…. “
- July 7 Galatians 6: 7-16 “you reap whatever you sow”
- July 13 Luke 10: 25-37 The Good Samaritan
- July 20 Amos 8:1-12 “Hear this, you who trample on the needy…”
- July 27 Colossians 2: 6-15 “…abounding in thanksgiving.”
- August 4 Luke 12:13-21—The parable of the rich fool
- August 11 Luke 12:32-40—”Where your treasure is, there your heart shall be also.”
- August 18 Take the week off….
- August 25 Luke: 13:10-17 The bent over woman (consumerism and affluence as ailment)
- September 1 Luke 14:7-14: “When you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame…”
- September 8 Luke: 14:25-33 “None of you can become my disciple if you do not give up all your possessions”
- September 15 Luke 15:1-10 The parable of the lost coin. (practicing gratitude)
- September 22 Luke 16:1-13—The parable of the dishonest manager
- September 29 Luke 16:19-31—The rich man and Lazarus
October 4 (Proper 22) begins the Flourish in Faith Stewardship Narrative Series. Download copies at http://www.tens.org/resources/member-resources/member-resources-blog/flourish-in-faith-stewardship-narrative-series