Sunday, September 20th, at 10:00 am, Bishop Thomas Ely will visit to join the congregation of the Church of the Good Shepherd, Barre, as we celebrate 125 years of Episcopalians in Barre. Special events for the day will be:
- Confirmation of five young people from our parish at the 10 am service.
- We will be joined by the congregation of Christ Church, Montpelier, as they founded the Barre Episcopal Mission on September 21, 1890.
In 1888, the Rev. Dr. Howard Hill, Rector of Christ Church, Montpelier, began services in Barre and surrounding Central Vermont communities. This work was carried on by his successor, the Rev. James Flanders. As Barre quickly developed with the swift rise of the granite industry, the Barre Episcopal Mission, provided as spiritual home for the quarrymen and their families. After a few years, the mission became an independent parish and the granite sanctuary was completed in 1896. Good Shepherd continues to serve Barre and it is once again formally linked to Christ Church, Montpelier with a “Regional Deaconate” staffed by the Rev. Deacon Beth Ann Maier. We give thanks to God for 125 years of service and look forward to the future mission in which God directs us.