Bishop’s Report to Diocesan Council, June 17, 2017
Diocesan Council is the legislative arm of the diocese between conventions and consists of the Bishop as Chair, ex officio; the Chancellor, ex officio; and three members elected by each of the five Mission Districts. Council meetings are open to all people of the Diocese.
If you wish to attend, please visit https://www.diovermont.org/post.php?p=149 for details and contact information. To follow is the Bishop’s report from the meeting held on June 17, 2017.
(1) I ordained Robert Wilson and Christine Moseley, St. Mark’s Newport to the sacred order of priests on June 16, 2017 at St. Mark’s, Newport, as members of St. Mark’s Local Ministry Support Team.
(2) I will ordain Kathy Hartman to the sacred order of priests, on July 28, 2017 at Old Christ Church, Bethel, as a member of the Christ Church Local Ministry Support Team.
(3) The following congregations are in transition (mostly with respect to calling new clergy leadership): St. James’, Arlington: The Reverend Christopher David, Interim; St. Thomas & Grace, Brandon, Supply Clergy; Christ Church, Island Pond: Supply Clergy; St. Peter’s, Lyndonville: Supply Clergy; Saint Mark’s, Newport: The Rev. Jane Butterfield, Interim; Gethsemane, Proctorsville: Supply Clergy; Saint John’s, Randolph: Supply Clergy; Saint Luke’s, St. Albans: The Rev. Craig Smith, Sunday Supply and one day a week; Saint Andrew’s, St. Johnsbury: Supply Clergy; St. Mark’s, Springfield: The Rev. Betty Berlenbach and The Rev. Victor Horvath, Interim; Calvary, Underhill: Supply Clergy; St. Mary’s, Wilmington: The Rev. Nicholas Porter, Interim.
(4) I gathered with the Deacons of our diocese for a Retreat Day on June 3rd, where the focus of our discussion was on restorative justice. We are blessed in Vermont with some very dedicated and engaged Deacons, with whom it is my pleasure and privilege to work.
(5) I attended Rock Point School Graduation on June 10th. We graduated 5 students, all of whom will go on to higher education.
(6) On Saturday June 10th, I met with the seven youth members and two adult members of our diocesan EYE (Episcopal Youth Event) delegation, who will represent us this summer in Oklahoma. I will be attending EYE with them.
(7) On Sunday June 18th, I will preach at St. Thomas, Hanover, NH as part of the Connecticut River Pilgrimage festivities. Bishop Rob Hirschfeld, of New Hampshire, will grace the pulpit of St. Barnabas, Norwich that same day, in an “Episcopal Pulpit Exchange.” I don’t know if this is a first, or not, but it is certainly a first for me.
(8) Ann and I will join the Connecticut River Pilgrimage for three days starting June 22nd, kayaking from Springfield, VT to Brattleboro.
(9) The Diocesan Convention Planning Team continues its work in preparation for out Diocesan Convention, November 3-4, 2017 at Jackson Gore, in Ludlow. Our theme is “Declare Dignity,” with special guest Dr. Donna Hicks.
(10) The Partnership Campaign for Rock Point continues its progress with the launch of the Parish phase of the Campaign on Pentecost, June 4, 2017, and increased connections with the wider Burlington civic community. Save the date of Saturday October 7th for this year’s Partners and Friends gathering at Rock Point.
(11) I’ve made 10 visitations since our last Council meeting. These included Sunday visits with St. James Woodstock, St. Dunstan’s, Waitsfield, St. John’s Randolph, and Christ Church, Bethel. Weekday visits included St. James, Arlington, Trinity, Rutland, St. Andrew’s, St. Johnsbury, St. Paul’s, Windsor, St. Mathew’s, Enosburg Falls and St. Mary’s in the Mountains, Wilmington. Whew! No wonder I’m not sure where I am from day to day!
(12) I finally got on the links, thanks to the guys at Christ Church, Bethel.
The Rt. Rev. Thomas C. Ely
Bishop of the Episcopal Church in Vermont