Bishop’s Report to Diocesan Council, August 2, 2017
(1) I ordained Kathy Hartman, Christ Church, Bethel to the sacred order of priests on July 28th. Kathy is a member of the Christ Church Local Ministry Support Team.
(2) The Standing Committee approved the ordination application of Paul Moberly and I will ordain him as a Priest on September 7, 2017 in St. Alban’s, Annandale, Virginia, where he has accepted the post of Assistant Rector.
(3) Saint James, Arlington has called the Rev. Mark Thompson to serve as Priest in Partnership, beginning August 1st. We welcome Mark back to VT, where he was first ordained.
(4) The Rev. Donna Reidt is resigning as Priest in Partnership at St. Paul’s, Windsor, effecting August 27, 2017.
(5) The following congregations are in transition (mostly with respect to calling new clergy leadership): St. Thomas & Grace, Brandon, Supply Clergy; Christ Church, Island Pond: Supply Clergy; St. Peter’s, Lyndonville: Supply Clergy; Saint Mark’s, Newport: The Rev. Jane Butterfield, Interim; Gethsemane, Proctorsville: Supply Clergy; Saint John’s, Randolph: Supply Clergy; Saint Luke’s, St. Albans: Supply Clergy; Saint Andrew’s, St. Johnsbury: Supply Clergy; St. Mark’s, Springfield: The Rev. Betty Berlenbach and The Rev. Victor Horvath, Interim; Calvary, Underhill: Supply Clergy; St. Paul’s Windsor, The Rev. Donna Reidt retiring August 27th; St. Mary’s, Wilmington: The Rev. Nicholas Porter, Interim.
(6) Ann and I participated in the Connecticut River Pilgrimage for three days starting June 22nd, kayaking from Springfield, VT to Brattleboro. The whole Pilgrimage was a great success.
(7) I attended the Episcopal Youth Event in Oklahoma City from July 10-14, along with 7 youth from Vermont and 2 Adult Advisors. The event was awesome and our delegation participated fully and with great energy. I also managed a few days of R&R with the Bishop of Oklahoma!
(8) I spent parts of 5 days in mid-July at the Jerusalem PeaceBuilders Leadership Camp in Brattleboro, with 16 Jewish, Christian and Muslim high school seniors from Jerusalem and the US. – A remarkable group of young leaders! Among other things, I led a teaching session on Dignity.
(9) On July 26, 2017, I presided and preached at the Celebration of a New Season of Ministry and the Welcoming of the Rev. Kim Hardy as Priest in Partnership at St. James, Essex Junction.
(10) The Partnership Campaign for Rock Point continues its progress, reaching the $1.4 million dollar mark this week. Responses to “Upon This Rock:” the Parish Partnership phase of the Campaign, are starting to come in. Save the date of Saturday October 7th for this year’s Partners and Friends gathering at Rock Point.
(11) I’ve made 5 visitations since our last Council meeting. These included Sunday visits with Christ Church, Island Pond; St. John’s, Essex, NY (DEPO); St. Paul’s, Canaan. Weekday visits included Immanuel, Bellows Falls and St, James, Essex Junction (see above).
(12) On Friday August 4th, as part of my weekday Visitation with Holy Trinity, Swanton, I will preside and preach at the Eucharist celebrating the 150th anniversary of ministry at Holy Trinity. Two interesting notes from the service bulletin:
*Service adapted from the 1871 BCP, approved at General Convention that year, and in use in 1867.
**Our 150th anniversary is for the first communion of the Holy Trinity community here, not the dedication of a building. Although the ministry began in 1825 as Christ Church in Swanton, due to “removals”, it was disbanded until reestablished in 1867 as Holy Trinity.
(13) I will be on vacation from August 6-26. Part of that time will be in Maine for a family gathering with the kids and grands! BTW, Madelyn (8 months old) is now crawling at a rapid rate.