Bishop’s Report to Diocesan Council – January 20, 2018
(1) I ordained Veronika Travis as a transitional Deacon on Sunday Dec. 17, 2017, at Trinity, Shelburne.
(2) Along with Bishop Alan Gates, from the Diocese of Massachusetts, I shared in the ordination to the Priesthood of Duncan Hilton at Saint Michael’s, Brattleboro on January 6, 2018
(3) The Rev. Mark Thompson resigned as Priest in Partnership at Saint James, Arlington. The Rev. John Miller is serving as Interim for a year.
(4) Julie Giguere announced her retirement, effective February 23, 2018. Lynn and I (along with others) are in the process of seeking someone who can fill this important ministry.
(5) The Rev. Angela Emerson has been called to serve as Interim at St. John’s, Randolph.
(6) The following congregations are in transition (mostly with respect to calling new clergy leadership): St. Thomas & Grace, Brandon, Supply Clergy; St. Andrew’s, Colchester, Rector resigning 1/31/18; Christ Church, Island Pond: Supply Clergy; St. Peter’s, Lyndonville: Supply Clergy; Saint Mark’s, Newport: The Rev. Jane Butterfield, Interim; Gethsemane, Proctorsville: Supply Clergy; Saint John’s, Randolph: The Rev. Angela Emerson; Saint Luke’s, St. Albans: Supply Clergy; Saint Andrew’s, St. Johnsbury: Supply Clergy; St. Mark’s, Springfield: Supply Clergy; Calvary, Underhill: Supply Clergy; St. Paul’s Windsor, Supply Clergy; St. Mary’s, Wilmington: The Rev. Nicholas Porter, Interim; Saint James, Woodstock: the Rev. Lisa Ransom, Interim
(7) The Rock Point Partnership Campaign continues its progress towards our $1.7 million-dollar goal. We now have 29 congregations who have made a financial commitment. We are about $120,000 away from meeting our goal. On December 28th, we closed on the 20 Acre Land Conservation agreement with Lake Champlain Land Trust.
(8) I participated in the Summit on Burlington Natural Areas, hosted at Rock Point, on December 6, 2017.
(9) The theme for our Convention will be Evangelism and Communication on November 2-3 in Burlington. Our special guest will be the Rev. Stephanie Spellers, Canon to the Presiding Bishop for Evangelism, Reconciliation and Creation. You’ll hear more about our 2018 focus on Evangelism from Liam Muller and Titus Pressler at the Council meeting. There is also a great feature article by Liam in the latest edition of The Mountain.
(10) The Standing Committee is moving forward with plans for the process related to Episcopal Transition in the Diocese of Vermont. Representatives from the Standing Committee will meet with the Diocesan Council during our January meeting. There is also an informative article in the recent edition of The Mountain.
(11) My Visitations since our last Council meeting included a weekday visitation with Saint Luke’s, Chester on January 10th; and a Sunday Visitation with Saint John’s in the Mountains, Stowe on January 7th. I preached and presided at both services at the Cathedral Church of Saint Paul, Burlington on Christmas Eve.
(12) Ann and I spent Christmas Day with our kids and grands in New Hampshire and the New Year with them and other friends in Burlington.