The Diocesan Council is the legislative arm of the Diocese between conventions and consists of the Bishop as Chair, ex officio; the Chancellor, ex officio; and three members elected by each of the five Mission Districts. The Canon to the Ordinary and the Diocesan Treasurer have a seat and voice, but no vote.
2019 Meeting Schedule
Listed below are the anticipated dates, times and locations of our meetings this year. If you wish to attend the business portion of an upcoming meeting, please contact the Diocesan Office at (802) 863-3431. Please note, this meeting schedule is subject to change.
|January 18-19||Overnight Retreat||Bishop Booth Conference Center|
|February 9||10 am-3 pm||St. Paul's (White River Junction)|
|March 7||7-9 pm||Zoom Web Conference|
|April 13||10-11:30 am||Zoom Web Conference|
|May 11||10 am-3 pm||Christ Church (Montpelier)|
|June 29||10 am-3 pm||St. Paul's (White River Junction)|
|July 25||7-9 pm||Zoom Web Conference|
|September 7||10 am-3 pm||Christ Church (Montpelier)|
|October 17||7-9 pm||Zoom Web Conference|
Mission Statement of Diocesan Council:
The Diocesan Council exists to support and extend the work of the Bishop and Convention, to promote the health and well-being of the Diocese, and to lead and support the people of the Diocese in our mission to pray the prayer of Christ, learn the mind of Christ, and do the deeds of Christ.
To implement this mission, Council will:
- monitor and oversee the implementation of the Diocesan Priorities
- work to improve the quality of life of all people in Vermont and beyond.
- assist local congregations to hold up their faith and to be held up by it.
- create opportunities for people to celebrate, share and learn about their faith, and to experience a new life within it.
- participate with the Bishop and local congregations in recognizing the gifts of challenge and change, and support them in engaging with these gifts.
- strive to become an agent of God’s reconciling love in the world.
- be faithful stewards of the financial and administrative resources of the Diocese, including the preparation and monitoring of the Diocesan budget.
2019 Diocesan Council Members
Click here to view the member list and corresponding Mission District map.
Useful Downloads & Links
- Diocesan Council Meeting Highlights – May 11, 2019
- Bishop’s Report to Diocesan Council – May 11, 2019
- Communication Minister’s Report to Council – May 9, 2019
Budget and Finance Committee
The Budget and Finance Committee of the Diocesan Council is composed of some members of Diocesan Council, plus the Bishop, the Canon to the Ordinary, and other appointed members. The members are:
- Gerry Davis, Treasurer
- The Rt. Rev. Tom Ely, Bishop Ex-officio
- Lynn Bates, Canon to the Ordinary
- The Rev. Dave Ganter, Assistant Treasurer
- Rich Sagui, Financial Administrator
In the photo: 2018 Diocesan Council