E-mail #1 : Call to Diocesan Annual Convention
To: Delegates, Alternates, and Attendees to the 186th Diocesan Annual Convention
From: Joshua Cheney, Secretary of Convention
Re: Call to Diocesan Annual Convention: E-mail #1
Date: July 6, 2018
First Call to Convention: Location and Date: This is the first call to all delegates, alternates, and other members of the Episcopal Church in Vermont to the 186th Annual Convention of the Diocese of Vermont. The convention will be held at the Hilton Hotel in Burlington, Vermont on Friday, October 26th and Saturday, October 27th.
In order to mitigate confusion between the Diocesan Annual Convention in October and the Special Convention on Saturday, September 29th all correspondence for the October convention will reference the Diocesan Annual Convention.
E-mail Communications: You are receiving this e-mail because we show you as a delegate or alternate to Diocesan Convention or a key member of the Diocese of Vermont. If we are incorrect and you wish to “unsubscribe” to these emails, let us know and we will remove your name from our distribution list.
This email and all Diocesan Annual Convention emails to follow contain important information concerning the Diocesan Annual Convention and the business to be undertaken by Diocesan Annual Convention. There will be a substantial amount of information that will be sent to you over the coming months. Please keep in mind that, though there will be a large volume of information, it is important information for you to familiarize yourself with as a delegate or alternate.
The contents of each e-mail will be posted on the Diocesan website HERE.
Proposed Convention Schedule
Please note all events will take place at the Hilton Hotel except for Friday worship. Shuttle service will be available to and from the Cathedral on Friday for those who wish to use it.
Friday, October 26th
- 10:00-10:45: Plenary with address by the Rev. Canon Stephanie Spellers
- 10:45-11:30: Table discussions immediately following
- 11:30-12:00: Question and answer session with The Rev. Canon Stephanie Spellers
Lunch Break 12:00-1:00
- 1:00-2:00 Workshops 1st round
- 2:00-2:15 Transition movement time to Plenary
- 2:15-3:00 Plenary address with address by The Rev. Stephanie Spellers
- 3:00-3:15 Question and answer session
- 3:15-3:30 Transition movement time to workshops
- 3:30-4:30 Workshops II
Saturday, October 27th
- 8:30: Eucharist
- 10:00: 186th Diocesan Annual Convention Begins
- 3:30: End of Diocesan Annual Convention
How to Register for Convention: To register for Convention please use the link HERE to access the on-line registration system.
About our Keynote Speaker: The Rev. Canon Stephanie Spellers is one of the Episcopal Church’s leading thinkers and consultants around 21st century ministry and mission and is Canon to the Presiding Bishop for Evangelism and Reconciliation. The author of The Episcopal Way (the first volume in the new Church’s Teachings for a Changing World series) and Radical Welcome: Embracing God, The Other and the Spirit of Transformation, she serves as Canon to the Presiding Bishop for Evangelism and Reconciliation. Spellers is responsible for supporting the ministry of the Presiding Bishop and Primate of The Episcopal Church as it pertains to evangelism and reconciliation efforts at the local, congregational, diocesan, and churchwide levels. She also teaches and directs programs in mission, reconciliation and formation at General Theological Seminary in New York City, and serves as a Senior Consultant for the Center for Progressive Renewal, an ecumenical consulting and training group that works nationwide.
- The registration fee is $55.00 per person and includes Friday and Saturday events and lunch on Saturday.
- Friday attendees will be responsible for their own lunch. Please note- Saturday’s lunch is included in your registration fee and no additional action is needed.
- Friday evening’s banquet is an additional fee of $55.00 per person.
We have negotiated a special rate for convention attendees of $169.00 per night. Please click HERE to reserve a room at the Hilton Hotel.
Bishop Booth Conference Center
Please click HERE for reservations
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Burlington
Address: 1285 Williston Rd, South Burlington, VT 05403
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn
Address: 1076 Williston Rd, South Burlington, VT 05403
Comfort Inn & Suites
Address: 3 Dorset St, South Burlington, VT 05403
- The Diocesan Annual Convention video conference will be on Tuesday, October 16th, 7-8 pm. It is an excellent opportunity to ask questions in preparation for the Diocesan Annual Convention.
- There will be a Special Convention on the Episcopal Transition on Saturday, September 29th. Please click HERE for more information.
Be sure to check the News & Announcements page on the Diocesan web site to keep up with all the activities of the General Convention taking place now in Austin, Texas.