Bishop’s Report to Diocesan Council – June 30, 2018
(1) The Rev. John Perry was called as Rector (previously Priest in Partnership) at Saint John the Baptist Church in Hardwick, effective June 1, 2018.
(2) The Rev. Dr. Robert K. Leopold is now serving as Interim Priest to serve at Saint Andrew’s, Colchester, starting July 1, 2018.
(3) The Rev. Jeanne Finan announced her intention to retire as Rector and Dean of the Cathedral Church of Saint Paul, Burlington, effective September 30, 2018.
(4) The Commission on Ministry and Standing Committee approved the ordination to the Priesthood of the Rev. Veronika Travis; and Kathleen Moore as a Candidate for Holy Orders (Priest). Veronika has accepted the position of Associate Rector at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Alexandria, VA. I will ordain her to the priesthood in the Fall. Kathleen continues this fall as a senior at Church Divinity School of the Pacific.
(5) Upon the recommendation of the Commission on Ministry, I admitted Thom Rock and Linda Moore as Postulants for Holy Orders (Priest) and Jack Karn as a Postulant for Holy Orders (Deacon).
(6) The following congregations are in some phase of transition (mostly with respect to calling new clergy leadership): St. Thomas & Grace, Brandon, Supply Clergy; St. Andrew’s, Colchester, the Rev. Robert Leopold, Interim; St. Luke’s, Fair Haven, Local Ministry Support Team in Formation, the Rev. Richard Brewer, Regular Supply; Christ Church, Island Pond: Supply Clergy; St. Peter’s, Lyndonville: Supply Clergy; Saint Mark’s, Newport: The Rev. Jane Butterfield, Interim; Gethsemane, Proctorsville: Supply Clergy; Saint John’s, Randolph: The Rev. Angela Emerson, Interim; Saint Luke’s, St. Albans: Supply Clergy, with some regular support from the Rev. Craig Smith; Saint Andrew’s, St. Johnsbury: Supply Clergy; St. Mark’s, Springfield: Supply Clergy; Calvary, Underhill: Supply Clergy; St. Paul’s Windsor, Supply Clergy; St. Mary’s, Wilmington: The Rev. Nicholas Porter, Interim; Saint James, Woodstock: the Rev. Lisa Ransom, Interim
(7) On May 19th, I participated in a meeting with Bishops and members of Province One Commissions on Ministry in Concord, NH, to learn more about the theological education offerings at the Montreal Diocesan Theological College from President, the Rev. Jesse Zink.
(8) On May 26th, I met with the Bishop Discernment and Nominating Committee.
(9) On June 2nd, I presided at the dedication of the completion of the Window Project at Saint Stephen’s, Middlebury, including a beautiful new Altar Window.
(10) On June 5th, I met with the Vermont Deputation to General Convention. I leave for Convention on Monday July 2nd.
(11) Again, it was a busy period for Visitations! My visitations since our last Council meeting included weekday visitations with Saint Mary’s in the Mountains, Wilmington on May 17th; Saint Thomas & Grace, Brandon on May 23rd; Saint Luke’s, St. Albans on May 31st; Christ Church, Montpelier on June 6th; Saint Dunstan’s, Waitsfield on June 13th; Saint Peter’s, Lyndonville on June 27th; and Sunday visits with Saint John the Baptist, Hardwick on May 20th; Trinity Church, Rutland on May 27th; Immanuel, Bellows Falls on June 3rd; and Saint Mark’s, Newport on June 10th.
(12) I took some vacation time in June to play in the Cranmer Cup (16 USA/Canada clergy against 16 Great Britain and Ireland clergy) in British Columbia, Canada. I am pleased to report the USA/Canada team won back the Cranmer Cup! Ann retired from Rock Point School this week.