Bishop’s Report to Diocesan Council – July 24, 2018
(1) There were no personnel changes in the period since our last Diocesan Council meeting.
(2) The following congregations are in some phase of transition (mostly with respect to calling new clergy leadership): St. Thomas & Grace, Brandon, Supply Clergy; St. Andrew’s, Colchester, the Rev. Robert Leopold, Interim; St. Luke’s, Fair Haven, Local Ministry Support Team in Formation, the Rev. Richard Brewer, Regular Supply; Christ Church, Island Pond: Supply Clergy; St. Peter’s, Lyndonville: Supply Clergy; Saint Mark’s, Newport: The Rev. Jane Butterfield, Interim; Gethsemane, Proctorsville: Supply Clergy; Saint John’s, Randolph: The Rev. Angela Emerson, Interim; Saint Luke’s, St. Albans: Supply Clergy, with some regular support from the Rev. Craig Smith; Saint Andrew’s, St. Johnsbury: Supply Clergy; St. Mark’s, Springfield: Supply Clergy; Calvary, Underhill: Supply Clergy; St. Paul’s Windsor, Supply Clergy; St. Mary’s, Wilmington: The Rev. Nicholas Porter, Interim; Saint James, Woodstock: the Rev. Lisa Ransom, Interim
(3) I presided at the Memorial Service for the Rev. Congreve Quinby on June 30th at the Cathedral. Con was canonically resident in the Diocese of Albany but licensed in Vermont where he resided and served for many years.
(4) On Sunday July 1st, I hosted a donor recognition dinner at the Bishop’s House for those who contributed to the Rock Point Partnership Campaign. As I hope members of Council know, we have surpassed the $1.7 million-dollar goal. Currently gifts and pledges stand at $1,930,000. Thank you all!
(5) From July 2nd through July 14 I attended the Episcopal Church General Convention in Austin, Texas. It was a good, full, exhausting and rewarding Convention. The Deputation from Vermont was fabulous!
(6) From July 19-22, I spent part of each day at a guest educator at the Jerusalem PeaceBuilders Leadership Institute in Brattleboro, where I introduced and facilitated conversations around the theme of Dignity with 17 remarkable Muslim, Jewish and Christian young adults from Israel/Palestine and the United States. I’ll return at the end of this week for one final day.
(7) Even with General Convention, there were three visitations since our last Council meeting included a weekday visitation with Grace Church, Sheldon on July 17th; and Sunday visits with Saint Matthew’s, Enosburg Falls on July 1st and Saint James, Arlington on July 22nd.
(8) I’ve been running hard to catch up after General Convention and look forward to some vacation time in August.