Bishop’s Report to Diocesan Council – September 15, 2018
(1) There were no personnel changes in the period since our last Diocesan Council meeting.
(2) The following congregations are in some phase of transition (mostly with respect to calling new clergy leadership): St. James, Arlington, currently served by the Rev. John Miller on an interim basis; St. Thomas & Grace, Brandon, Supply Clergy; St. Paul’s Burlington, Dean Finan’s last Sunday is September 30th and the Vestry is in conversation with Interim Candidates. October and November will feature two Theologians in Residence: the Right Reverend Barry Morgan, Emeritus Bishop of Wales and the Reverend Nancy Gossling, most recently Interim at the Cathedral in Boston; St. Andrew’s, Colchester, the Rev. Robert Leopold, Interim; St. Luke’s, Fair Haven, Local Ministry Support Team in Formation, the Rev. Richard Brewer, Regular Supply; Christ Church, Island Pond: Supply Clergy; St. Peter’s, Lyndonville: Supply Clergy; Saint Mark’s, Newport: The Rev. Jane Butterfield, Interim; Gethsemane, Proctorsville: Supply Clergy; Saint John’s, Randolph: The Rev. Angela Emerson, Interim; Saint Luke’s, St. Albans: Supply Clergy, with some regular support from the Rev. Craig Smith; Saint Andrew’s, St. Johnsbury: Supply Clergy; St. Mark’s, Springfield: The Rev. Martha Dyner regular supply Clergy; Calvary, Underhill: Supply Clergy; St. Paul’s Windsor, Supply Clergy; St. Mary’s, Wilmington: The Rev. Nicholas Porter, Interim; Saint James, Woodstock: the Rev. Lisa Ransom, Interim
(3) I have continued to work on some final gifts and pledges to the Rock Point Partnership Campaign, including one I will share with you on Saturday. On September 5th, at a small gathering in the office, we gave thanks for the ministry of Ellen Lovell as our Legacy Minister upon the completion of her work with us.
(4) The Rock Point Board held a very good working “retreat” day last week, hearing from the various teams working on the Business and Operations plan for the Bishop Booth Conference Center and Rock Point Camp. Rob Spainhour, a Rock Point Board member and I can more about the work going on at Rock Point with you on Saturday.
(5) I preached and presided at the Eucharist with the Trustees and Senior Management Team of the Church Pension Group on September 12th as part of their Board meeting in Manchester, VT. The Eucharist was held at Zion Church, followed by a splendid dinner at Hildene-The Lincoln Family Home in Manchester. Fortunately, I did not have to attend any meetings, but I am very impressed with the commitment to this important ministry being made by this volunteer Board of Trustees, of which the Rev. Thomas Brown, one-time Rector of Saint Michael’s, Brattleboro is now the Chair.
(6) I will ordain the Reverend Veronika Travis to the Priesthood on September 26th at Saint Luke’s Episcopal Church in Alexandria, Virginia.
(7) Visitations since our last Council meeting included weekday visitations with Saint Martin’s, Fairlee on July 25th; Saint Paul’s, Canaan on July 26th and Saint John’s, Essex, NY on August 1st. I also celebrated one Sunday visit with Saint Paul’s, Wells on July 29th. My last round of Visitations begins this Sunday at Christ Church, Bethel.
(8) Ann and I enjoyed some good vacation time in August, with kids and grandkids, time at the theatre, in the water, on the golf course (me) and attending to projects around our house in Newfane. Vacation ended with a gathering of nearly 50 family members and long-time friends at Rock Point over the Labor Day Weekend.