Communications Minister’s Report to Diocesan Council -September 15, 2018
(1) As Diocesan Convention nears, much of my work has centered around the production of Pre-Convention and Convention related videos and presentations. As of this writing, I am wrapping up the production of six Pre-Convention videos to familiarize delegates with Convention processes, protocols, program, nominations, and resolutions. A seventh video providing an overview of the diocesan budget will be filmed with Gerry Davis in the next several days. These training tools will be posted online at https://diovermont.org/diocesan-convention.php under the “Pre-Convention” link, and delegates will be asked to watch them in advance of a Pre-Convention Web Conference to be held on October 16 at 7 PM. Login details for the Web Conference are also online.
(2) In connection with my communications role, I have accepted an invitation to lead a Digital Evangelism Workshop at Diocesan Convention.
(3) In connection with my role on the Diocesan Disaster Preparedness Team, I am assisting Harry Kendrick, disaster preparedness chair, with the development of a Convention presentation about disaster preparedness that will likely be webcast for congregants who are involved in local disaster prep but will be unable to attend Convention.
(4) At the request of the Bishop Discernment and Nominating Committee, and in keeping with the best practices of other dioceses that are conducting bishop searches, I have designed a website dedicated to the bishop search that features a diocesan profile (developed by the BDNC) and information on how to apply or nominate individuals for the bishop role. The profile content is presently being revised and will be updated within the next several days. The Profile website – intended primarily for candidates – will be separate from, but linked to, the diocesan website and will be launched publicly at a date to be announced by the BDNC and Standing Committee.
(5) I recently met with the Rev. Cn. Lee Crawford at Mission Farm to hear about their nascent capital campaign and determine what level of support I can provide. Similar to my involvement in Christ Church Montpelier’s capital campaign, we’ve identified a specific set of projects that could benefit from the participation of Diocesan Communications.
Maurice L. Harris
Diocesan Communications Minister
The Episcopal Church in Vermont