Bishop’s Report to Diocesan Council, January 19, 2019
(1) The following congregations are in some phase of transition (mostly with respect to calling new clergy leadership): St. James, Arlington, currently served by the Rev. John Miller on an interim basis; St. Thomas & Grace, Brandon, Supply Clergy; St. Paul’s Burlington, the Rev. Laura Bryant, Interim Rector; St. Andrew’s, Colchester, the Rev. Robert Leopold, Interim; St. Luke’s, Fair Haven, Local Ministry Support Team in Formation, the Rev. Richard Brewer, Regular Supply; Christ Church, Island Pond: Supply Clergy; St. Peter’s, Lyndonville: Supply Clergy; Saint Stephen’s, Middlebury, Interim Ministry Team in place with the Rev. Carole Wageman as Team Leader; Saint Mark’s, Newport: The Rev. Jane Butterfield, Interim; Gethsemane, Proctorsville: Supply Clergy; Saint John’s, Randolph: The Rev. Angela Emerson, Interim; Saint Luke’s, St. Albans: Supply Clergy, with some regular support from the Rev. Craig Smith; Saint Andrew’s, St. Johnsbury: Supply Clergy; St. Mark’s, Springfield: The Rev. Martha Dyner and others as regular supply Clergy; Calvary, Underhill: Supply Clergy; St. Paul’s Windsor, Supply Clergy; St. Mary’s, Wilmington: The Rev. Nicholas Porter, Interim; Saint James, Woodstock: the Rev. Lisa Ransom, Interim
(2) It is good to have Canon Lynn Bates back at work. She is wisely pacing herself with time in the office and work time from home.
(3) The Rev. Sherry Osborn has given notice that she will not continue as Rock Point Camp Director after February 28th. Sherry has done a great job in developing Rock Point Camp and will be missed. The discernment/search process is currently underway, and Sherry continues to help us plan for this summer. Camp registration is open. Please encourage parents and assure them that Rock Point Camp is in good hands. https://www.diovermont.org/post.php?p=11576
(4) I co-led the Burlington Forum on Coexistence at St. Paul’s Cathedral on Friday December 7. Videos are available on the Website https://www.diovermont.org/post.php?p=11427
(5) On December 7-8, I met with Vestry and Parishioners from St. Luke’s, Saranac Lake, NY (one of the DEPO congregations I serve) to offer pastoral support and conversation regarding current realities in the Diocese of Albany.
(6) I attended the Province One Bishops Annual Advent Retreat from December 11-14 at the Barbara Harris Camp and Conference Center. This has been an important gathering over the years and one of the things I will miss when no longer an active Bishop Diocesan.
(7) On December 15th, I presided at the Requiem Eucharist for Mary Dalton, widow of the Reverend Al Dalton, at Saint Mark’s, Springfield where Mary was a member. Her husband Al was one of my early mentors when I was newly ordained in Connecticut.
(8) I presided at the O Antiphon service at the Cathedral Church of St. Paul on December 16th.
(9) I presided and preached this year at all Christmas services at the Cathedral.
(10) The Vermont Ecumenical Council Network for Christian Cooperation will hold a worship service in observance of the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity on Sunday January 20, 2019, 4:00 PM at Trinity, Shelburne, followed by a pot luck supper. I am the preacher at this service.
(11) I will attend the Annual Province One Chancellor’s and Bishops gathering in Northampton, MA on January 24-26. Yet another final gathering for me of an important colleague group.
(12) Visitations since our last Council meeting included Sunday visitations with Zion, Manchester on December 9th; St. Paul’s, Wells on December 16th; St. Michael’s, Brattleboro on January 6th; and St. James’, Woodstock on January 13th.
(13) Ann and I had a houseful of family and friends (overflow at the BBCC) this Christmas and New Year’s. It was a wonderful and yet melancholy time as we observed our last Christmas on Rock Point.