The 2010 Diocesan Convention adopted a resolution authorizing the Diocesan Council to replace the eight Deanery structure with a five Mission District structure. Each Mission District has two purposes: (i) to nominate and elect three Diocesan Council members and (ii) “to collaborate in ministry and mission and in furtherance of Diocesan strategic plans and initiatives, and to generally foster a closeness of community within the Mission District and across the Diocese.” With this change in the Canons, Council has fifteen elected members instead of twenty-six.
Diocesan Council adopted the following Mission Districts in March 2011:
District 1 – 10 congregations with Average Sunday Attendance (ASA) in 2009 of 613 people: Alburgh (10), Swanton (57), St. Albans (60), Sheldon (9), Enosburg Falls (9), Colchester (90), Underhill (34), Essex Junction (109), Burlington (170), South Burlington (65).
District 2 – 9 congregations with ASA of 366 people: Newport (60), Island Pond (12), Canaan (6), Lyndonville (16), Hardwick (37), Stowe (48), St. Johnsbury (35), Montpelier (108), Barre (44).
District 3 – 9 congregations with ASA of 389 people: Waitsfield (25), Northfield (33), Randolph (39), Bethel (20), Fairlee (40), Norwich (49), White River Junction (93), Woodstock (65), Windsor (25).
District 4 – 10 congregations with ASA of 545 people: Shelburne (141), Vergennes (57), Jerusalem Gathering, Middlebury (118), Brandon/ Forest Dale (32), Killington (14), Rutland (127), Castle-ton/Fair Haven (17), Poultney (20), Wells (19).
District 5 – 9 congregations with ASA of 612 people: Manchester (152), Arlington (55), Bennington (97), Wilmington (19), Brattleboro (153), Bellows Falls (35), Chester (59), Springfield (29), Proctorsville (13).
2019 Diocesan Council Members
|OFFICE||LAST NAME||FIRST||TITLE||MISSION DISTRICT||TERM||EXPIRATION|
|Bishop||Ely||Thomas||The Rt. Rev.|
|Moser||Frederick||The Rev. Dr.||4||1||2019|
|Spainhour||J. Robert||The Rev.||1||1||2019|
Mission District #1:
- Edith Hawksworth (St. Matthew’s, Enosburg Falls), current
- The Rev. Rob Spainhour (Holy Trinity, Swanton), current
- Rick Taylor (St. Andrew’s, Colchester), retiring
- Alice Daley (St. Andrew’s, Colchester), newly elected
Mission District #2:
- The Rev. Paul Habersang (Christ Church, Montpelier), current
- Marjorie Strong (Church of the Good Shepherd, Barre), current
- Jean Wilson (St. Mark’s, Newport), term ending – re-elected
Mission District #3:
- Kathy Hartman (Christ Church, Bethel), current
- Barbara Johnson (St. James, Woodstock), current
- The Rev. Mark Preece (St. Martin’s, Fairlee), term ending – re-elected
Mission District #4:
- The Rev. Dr. Fred Moser (Trinity, Shelburne), current
- Lisa Newton (Trinity, Shelburne), current
- The Rev. Liam Muller (Trinity, Rutland), term ending – re-elected
Mission District #5:
- Heidi Edson (St. Luke’s, Chester), current
- Paul Gratz (St. James, Arlington), current
- Deb Moser (Zion, Manchester), retiring
- Colleen Gates, newly elected