Bishop’s Report to Diocesan Council, February 9, 2019
(1) The following congregations are in some phase of transition (mostly with respect to calling new clergy leadership): St. James, Arlington, currently served by the Rev. John Miller on an interim basis; St. Thomas & Grace, Brandon, Supply Clergy; St. Paul’s Burlington, the Rev. Laura Bryant, Interim Rector; St. Andrew’s, Colchester, the Rev. Robert Leopold, Interim; St. Luke’s, Fair Haven, Local Ministry Support Team in Formation, the Rev. Richard Brewer, Regular Supply; Christ Church, Island Pond: Supply Clergy; St. Peter’s, Lyndonville: Supply Clergy; Saint Stephen’s, Middlebury, Interim Ministry Team in place with the Rev. Carole Wageman as Team Leader; Saint Mark’s, Newport: The Rev. Jane Butterfield, Interim; Gethsemane, Proctorsville: Supply Clergy; Saint John’s, Randolph: The Rev. Angela Emerson, Interim; Saint Luke’s, St. Albans: Supply Clergy, with some regular support from the Rev. Craig Smith; Saint Andrew’s, St. Johnsbury: Supply Clergy; St. Mark’s, Springfield: The Rev. Martha Dyner and others as regular supply Clergy; Calvary, Underhill: Supply Clergy; St. Paul’s Windsor, Supply Clergy; St. Mary’s, Wilmington: The Rev. Nicholas Porter, Interim; Saint James, Woodstock: the Rev. Lisa Ransom, Interim
(2) The Rev. Alan Kittelson has given notice of his intention to resign (retire) as Rector of St. Paul’s, Vergennes effective August 1, 2019.
(3) On February 4, 2019, I admitted Katie Rhunde as a Postulant for Holy Orders (priesthood). Katie is part of the local Ministry Support Team at Christ Church, Bethel.
(4) On February 4, 2019, I admitted Bram Kranichfeld as a Postulant for Holy Orders (priesthood). Bram is from Saint Paul’s, Burlington.
(5) You will shortly receive information announcing that a new Rock Point Camp Director has been hired. Stay tuned for more details.
(6) Along with Chancellor Tom Little and Canon Lynn Bates, I attend the Annual Province One Chancellor’s and Bishops gathering in Northampton, MA on January 24-26. Yet another final gathering for me of an important colleague group.
(7) The Vermont Ecumenical Council Network for Christian Cooperation worship service in observance of the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity was postponed until Sunday February 3, 2019, but we did gather on Super Bowl Sunday at 3:00 PM at Trinity, Shelburne, followed by a pot luck supper. Fred Moser and the people of Trinity hosted us well, with Fred planning the liturgy. I was the preacher at this service. Learn more about the VECNCC at http://www.vecncc.org
(8) I will be attending the Annual Board meeting of Cristosal http://www.cristosal.org in El Salvador February 14-17, and then be joined by several folks from Vermont with whom I will participate in the Cristosal Global School program from February 18-23.
(9) I will be in Washington DC from February 27 to March 2, along with other Bishops from the Bishops United Against Gun Violence network as part of a planning meeting with other organizations working against gun violence and on gun safety measures. Part of the time will be spent meeting with our members of Congress. So far, I have a time with Senator Leahy, but not yet with Senator Sanders and Congressman Welch. I remain hopeful.
(10) I will attend the House of Bishops Meeting at Kanuga Center in Hendersonville, NC from March 11-16 and a meeting of the General Convention Task Force on Communion Across Difference in Chicago from March 19-21.
(11) Visitations since our last Council meeting included Sunday visitations with St. Peter’s, Bennington on January 27th and Saint James, Essex Junction on February 3rd.
(12) Ann and I will try to squeeze in a week of vacation March 22-29.