Diocesan Convention 2021
The 2021 diocesan convention took place online:
- A pre-convention hearing was held on Zoom on Thursday, October 28 at 6 p.m. Watch a recording of the pre-convention hearing on YouTube.
- The business portion of diocesan convention was held online via Zoom on Thursday, November 4 beginning at 6 p.m. Watch a recording of the business session on YouTube.
- The bishop’s address, worship, and other programming will took place online Saturday, November 6. Watch a recording of the Saturday session on YouTube.
Convention Videos on YouTube
The following videos are available to watch on YouTube:
- Bishop Shannon’s convention sermon
- Bishop Shannon’s convention address
- Presentation from Bishop Sean Rowe
- Presentation from Dr. Catherine Meeks
- Full recording of the pre-convention hearing
- Full Recording of the business session
- Full Recording of Saturday programming
Worship, Bishop’s Address and More
The bishop’s address, worship, and other programming took place online on Saturday, November 6. In addition to worship and the bishop’s address, the Saturday session included presentations by Dr. Catherine Meeks of the Absalom Jones Center for Racial Healing, Bishop Sean Rowe of the Dioceses of Northwestern Pennsylvania and Western New York, and a chair of the diocesan THRIVE group.
Watch a recording of the Saturday session on YouTube.
- 10 a.m. Morning Prayer with sermon from Bishop Shannon. Download convention worship bulletin.
- 11 a.m. A presentation from Bishop Sean Rowe of the partnership dioceses of Northwestern Pennsylvania and Western New York. The session will include time for Q&A. Learn more about the partnership dioceses.
- 11:50 a.m. A presentation from THRIVE chair the Rev. Scott Neal. Learn more about THRIVE.
- 12 p.m. Bishop’s Address
- 12:15p.m. Break for Lunch
- 1 p.m. A presentation from Dr. Catherine Meeks of the Absalom Jones Center for Racial Healing in Atlanta. Learn more about the center and Dr. Meeks.
- 1:40 p.m. Introduction to “Five Points Project,” which came out of a virtual pilgrimage members of the Diocese of Vermont attended with the Absalom Jones Center for Racial Healing.
- 2 p.m. Reports on the Commission for Land Use History in the Diocese of Vermont. Responding to the Land Use History Resolution passed by the 2020 Diocesan Convention, the group will share stories and the results of research conducted over the course of the year.
- 2:30 p.m. Sending Rite with a Renewal of Baptismal Vows. Download convention worship bulletin.
The following resolutions were passed by convention. Download an overview.
- Adoption of the FY 2022 Integrated Budget for the Diocese of Vermont
- 2022 Narrative Budget (background and explanation about the 2022 budget in the context of the diocese’s larger financial picture)
- 2022 Budget
- Establishing Minimum Clergy Compensation for 2022 (a substitute resolution approved 10/25 by Diocesan Council, which proposed the original resolution; updated online 10/26)
- Establishing a Strategic Task Force on Financing and Governing Structures
- Enter Barbara Clementine Harris into the Church Calendar
- Affirmation of Diverse Gender Identities
- Application of the Leahy Laws to Israel
- Supporting Freedom of Speech and the Right to Boycott
- Recognition of Apartheid in Israel/Palestine
All nominees found in the nominations packet were elected by convention.
The 2021 diocesan courtesy resolutions recognize and honor:
- Bishop Shannon MacVean-Brown
- The Diocesan COVID-19 Response Team and Congregational Leaders
- Dr. Gerald (Gerry) Davis
- Pamela Van de Graaf
- The Rev. Canon Lee Alison Crawford
- Joshua Cheney
- Stephen Burnett
- Dr. Catherine Meeks
- Bishop Sean Rowe
Read the full text of the courtesy resolutions.
Rules of Order