Bishop’s Report to Diocesan Council, Sept. 30, 2017
(1) I ordained Paul Moberly to the sacred order of priests on September 7, 2017 in St. Alban’s, Annandale, Virginia, where he has accepted the post of Assistant Rector.
(2) The following congregations are in transition (mostly with respect to calling new clergy leadership): St. Thomas & Grace, Brandon, Supply Clergy; Christ Church, Island Pond: Supply Clergy; St. Peter’s, Lyndonville: Supply Clergy; Saint Mark’s, Newport: The Rev. Jane Butterfield, Interim; Gethsemane, Proctorsville: Supply Clergy; Saint John’s, Randolph: Supply Clergy; Saint Luke’s, St. Albans: Supply Clergy; Saint Andrew’s, St. Johnsbury: Supply Clergy; St. Mark’s, Springfield: The Rev. Betty Berlenbach and The Rev. Victor Horvath, Interim; Calvary, Underhill: Supply Clergy; St. Paul’s Windsor, Supply Clergy; St. Mary’s, Wilmington: The Rev. Nicholas Porter, Interim.
(3) Rock Point Camp completed another successful summer, despite some challenges. I’ve posted Camp Director, Sherry Osborn’s report to the Rock Point Board in the Council 365 September 30 meeting folder.
(4) I attended a meeting of the Episcopal Church Task Force on the Study of Marriage in Salt Lake City, UT from August 28-30. Here is a link to our communication following that meeting: https://www.episcopalchurch.org/posts/publicaffairs/task-force-study-marriage-reports-progress
(5) On September 8th, I joined the people of St. John’s in the Mountains, Stowe, for a festive dinner and program celebrating the 10th anniversary of the consecration of the “new” St. John’s building.
(6) On September 9th, I participated in the Alleluia Open Golf Event at Basin Harbor Club in Vergennes. This is fundraising event for the Alleluia Fund and raised over $11,000! My team was fortunate to finish in 1st place.
(7) On September 10th, I joined with many Episcopalians in the Burlington Pride Parade. Saint Paul’s Cathedral had a float calling attention to places around the world where GLBTQ persons face persecution.
(8) On September 10th, I gathered for a “reunion” with the youth and adults who represented the Episcopal Church in Vermont at this summer’s Episcopal Youth Event in Oklahoma. With the help of Maurice Harris, we are preparing a video presentation for Diocesan Convention.
(9) The Partnership Campaign for Rock Point continues its progress, with a focus on “Upon This Rock:” the Parish Partnership phase of the Campaign. Please join us on Saturday October 7th for this year’s Partners and Friends gathering at Rock Point.
(10) I attended the Fall meeting of the House of Bishops from September 20-27 in Fairbanks, Alaska. Ann and I enjoyed a week of vacation in Alaska prior to the HOB meeting.
(11) Because of vacation and HOB, I’ve only had 1 visitation since our last Council meeting, and what a great one it was! On Friday August 4th, my weekday Visitation with Holy Trinity, Swanton, included a celebration of the Eucharist on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of ministry at Holy Trinity.
(12) I’m looking forward to a very full October as we prepare for Diocesan Convention – November 3-4. It is hard to believe that Autumn is here and golf courses will be closing soon! Enjoy the beauty of Vermont!