Bishop’s Report to Diocesan Council – December 6, 2017
(1) I will ordain Veronika Travis as a transitional Deacon on Sunday Dec. 17, 2017, 9:30 AM at Trinity, Shelburne.
(2) The Rev. Betty Berlenbach and the Rev. Victor Horvath have announced their resignation as Interims serving Saint Mark’s, Springfield, effective December 31, 2017.
(3) The Reverend Lisette Baxter has announced her resignation as Rector of Saint Andrew’s, Colchester, effective January 31, 2018.
(4) The following congregations are in transition (mostly with respect to calling new clergy leadership): St. Thomas & Grace, Brandon, Supply Clergy; St. Andrew’s, Colchester, Rector resigning 1/31/18; Christ Church, Island Pond: Supply Clergy; St. Peter’s, Lyndonville: Supply Clergy; Saint Mark’s, Newport: The Rev. Jane Butterfield, Interim; Gethsemane, Proctorsville: Supply Clergy; Saint John’s, Randolph: Supply Clergy; Saint Luke’s, St. Albans: Supply Clergy; Saint Andrew’s, St. Johnsbury: Supply Clergy; St. Mark’s, Springfield: The Rev. Betty Berlenbach and The Rev. Victor Horvath, Interim until 12/31/17; Calvary, Underhill: Supply Clergy; St. Paul’s Windsor, Supply Clergy; St. Mary’s, Wilmington: The Rev. Nicholas Porter, Interim; Saint James, Woodstock: the Rev. Lisa Ransom, Interim
(5) We held a very successful Diocesan Convention at Jackson Gore, November 3-4, 2017, featuring Donna Hicks as our Guest Presenter on the theme of Declare Dignity. We also held an EXPO featuring many organizations in VT with dignity as part of the core values. Six of these also led workshops.
(6) I participated in Essex Eats Out at Saint James, Essex Junction on November 17, where over 75 people came for dinner and conversation.
(7) I met twice with the Standing Committee in November.
(8) I was on Retreat at Emery House Wednesday evening November 29th through Saturday lunch on December 2nd.
(9) The Bishops of Province One will spend our Annual Advent Retreat together at Barbara C. Harris Conference Center, December 11-14. Bishop Nathan Baxter will be our Retreat Leader on the theme “Becoming the Beloved Community.”
(10) My Visitations since our last Council meeting included a weekday visitation with Saint Mary’, Northfield on November 17th, where I helped out at their monthly Community Closet and Luncheon Outreach Ministry; and a Sunday Visitation with Gethsemane, Proctorsville on December 3.
(11) Ann and I spent Thanksgiving Week (a vacation week for me) with some of Ann’s family in New Jersey (Tuesday-Thursday) and then with our kids and grands in Burlington (Friday-Sunday).